View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

I've been running Givi WP405 bags for over 8000 miles and they have exceeded expectations. They have been across 4 states, British Columbia, and now 15 different countries. Its hard to guess, but maybe 1000 of that is off-road? But in countries like Ukraine and Armenia, the paved highways are often rougher than your average gravel road in the US. I've had 2 low-speed falls with them, both times were climbing steep, loose jeep roads, so probably 10-15mph max, but they have not been phased.

I keep the stock racks on, and just clip or tie the bags to secure them. The exhaust side comes a lot closer than the bag recommends, but I kept a close eye on it and it never had issues with getting too hot, I think because plenty of air can pass between, plus the exhaust cover on the RX3 does a great job keeping cool. The non-exhaust side actually has more than enough space, and would not sufficiently cushion the rack from a drop, so I added a small bag into the recessed area. This gives me a little extra storage, and pushes the bag out enough for some cushioning.

As for weight, I'm not sure, but I probably stay well below spec because I tend to pack mostly soft, bulky items likes clothes and sleeping bag for cushion.