View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #9

I have and use depending on weather.

First Gear, Mesh Summer Jacket with about a 12" zipper in back to attach to riding pants, and back protector pocket for foam back pads, fixed elbow foam pads. Pros: Works pretty good, even in hot weather, and rear zipper fits most riding pants regardless of brand. Cons: it will still get a little warm during stop and go traffic, I believe it would only hold up to one slide/wreck.

First Gear, Cordora/Leather Jacket with removable winter lining, 12" zipper in back to attach to riding pants, removable foam back protector, fixed elbow and shoulder pads. Pros: Works good in weather from about 50F to 85F. Could be used in both colder and hotter weather if undergarments are added or removed. Might hold up to more then one spill. Back protector pocket is big enough to add another foam pad for added protection. Good pocket locations and good ventalation zippers. Good touring or everyday motorcycle jacket. Cons: No wet weather protection. Is not approved on most tracks.

First Gear, Cordora/Leather Pants with fixed hip and knee pads and universal 12" rear jacket zipper attachment.
Pros: Good protection, double codora in the seat of the pants. Fairly comfortable in weather from 50F to 85F same deal as top weather can be colder or hotter depending on undergarments. Cons: Knee pad stitching digs into skin if your not wearing long johns. No Pockets. No ventalation. No wet weather protection. No velcro knee puck attatchment points. Not approved on most tracks. Not good for the tracks, yet not comfortable enough for touring or everyday riding.

Joe Rocket non-Gauntlet riding gloves. Pros: comfy, comfy, comfy. Knuckle protection, good dexterity. Cons: probably would could only handle one good spill. Not approved on most tracks.

Alpinestar GP-1 gloves. Pros: Top of the line Gauntlet style protection, approved for tracks. Cons: Stiff and uncomfortable for everyday riding.
Dexterity is slightly sacrificed for protection.

Icon Mainframe Halo Helmet. Pros: Good Ventalation, comfortable, good visability. Does not buffet even at speeds above 150mph. Cons: a little heavy.

HJC Full face Flip Helmet. Pros: Like to be able to flip the front up with fueling up, etc. Good Ventalation, No wind noise, does not buffet even deep into triple digit speeds. Cons: Can not be used on most tracks.

El Cheapo open faced helmet Fonzie style helmet. Pros: Cheap, don't have to worry about people stealing it, good in hot weather, great visability, comfy. Cons: You won't be picking up hot chicks, must use glasses or scott's type shield, removable plastic sunvisor rattles unless removed, not good in cold weather.

Komoto Back protector. Pros: Approved on tracks and comfortable enough for regular riding with or without a jacket on top. Heavy duty vertabre style backprotection. Cons: a little warm around the belly strap, doesn't fit under some two piece riding suits, a little bulky.

Diadora riding boots. Pros: Very comfortable both on and off the bike, One zipper and one velcro attactment means easy off and on. If you removed the toe slider it would be stylish enough for when your off the bike. Good protection with toe sliders and ankle pads. Cons: Ugly, fixed toe slider. Accepted on tracks but is the minimum protection you want on a track.

Demidesign under helmet cold weather stocking. Pros: Keeps head warm even down to 25F under a full face helmet but you will need a little more neck protection at those temps. Fits easily under a full face helmet. Does not bunch up. Good neck protection for tempatures down to 35F
Cons: The lower face part stretches after a season or two so the nose won't have the same protection when the stocking gets older.

Nelson Riggs mini tank bag and mini saddlebags. Pros: Solid contruction, good rain bags, big enough for one or two days worth of clothes and stuff.
Cons: Black fabric started to fade after about two seasons.

That's just some of the gear I've used and my experiences. Frankly I like riding with a good set of jeans, mesh or cordora jacket (I stuff two foam back protecters into whatever jacket I'm useing), joe rocket gloves and my work boots. I use a full face helmet most of the time, except for desert riding, and going up to walmart etc. I seldom use the pants, and I seldom use the Gauntlet style gloves. I used to own a two piece full leather track suit but I only used it on the track.