View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #15

Hawk and Storm Folks

Well, my FMF TC2 showed up yesterday so I thought I'd do a short tutorial on install. Obviously, this is a Q Link install and actually a "round 2" of one I did years ago that's buried here somewhere, but I thought I'd do a new one for the new folks.

If the Hawk and Storm riders would like to chime in and see if this is something that may work for them, go for it. I'm not sure of the pipe configuration on those Hondoids, but hopefully they're the same header pipe/muffler setup as most. Rest assured, when our CSC TT 250 shows up, it will most likely be getting this treatment after break-in.

The FMF Turbine Core 2 Universal Spark Arrestor (1.25" version) comes with the muffler, a mid-pipe that has a nice bend and length for fabrication/cutting into many applications, hardware and a nice attractive clamp.

Pic 1 - I started by removing the "million pound bazooka" that came on Q. I've removed the cat inside but there's still hunks drifting around in there I can't get out. I didn't like that. I'll have to cut it open and play someday.

Pic 2 - I put on the enclosed mid pipe (nice bend and length to fit many applications) and then the muffler. I clamped the holder to the muffler and held it in position to the enclosed triangle bracket and marked where I need to drill with a Sharpee.

Pic 3 - After eyeballing the length that I wanted, I cut 2" off the "muffler end" of the enclosed stainless mid-pipe with my Sawz-All. (Edit: the "header pipe end" has the flared end for fitting over the header pipe. Do NOT cut this end!) I then clamped it in a vise with a rag and cut a cross in the end of the pipe. 3/4" slits worked for the Q application, then I slid the mid-pipe onto the existing header pipe to the boss and clamped. Then I clamped and bolted the muffler end onto the original mount in the frame. It's that easy.

Pic 4 - The finished product. Yes....it's too loud on the Suzuki-style OHC 200cc motor for my taste, but it really helped open up the performance and the jetting to boost mid-range and top end noticably. When the baffle shows up tomorrow, I'll do a tutorial on that install and opinion, as well. There is a slight hesitation off-idle now and I'm hoping a little backpressure from the baffle will halt that. I'll let you know.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 08-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.