View Single Post
Old 04-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #8

Shipping oil, is oil. It just doesn't have the additive package. But mixed with engine oil that does have the additive package, it's just as good as any oil. At least, to be used as break in oil, something you'll discard after 100-200 miles.

Most of the additives missing in shipping oil, are those that will suspend water, which is only an issue if the bike sits long.
Other additives are to reduce wear from certain metals, which isn't really an issue during the break-in.
Yet other additives, are friction modifiers. Most oils handle the crankcase and cylinder wall temps of 275F just fine, without breaking down, even without friction modifiers.
They might just be thicker in cold weather than most synthetics.

I myself wouldn't use it to ride.
But to give it a second chance, filtered, during the break in period, I think won't harm. Fact, I'm pretty sure it's not going to harm the engine, unless you want it to (like pouring water in the crank case, or trying to start the engine at -40F).

I found out a coffee filter is too tight for an oil filter. It seeps through too slowly. A piece of cloth would probably be better, or an oil filter, but that defeats the purpose of near zero cost base. Third option is just use a magnet to fish out the suspended metallic particles. I don't think my engine has any aluminum in it. Just steel.

And like I said, I drove a much bigger bike on corn oil for lubricant, for 30+ miles without any negative side effects. it did have about half a quart of 10w30 motor oil in it, so there was some form of additive package in the oil.

Is it recommend? Perhaps not.
But is it possible? A definite 'yes'!

I probably won't do it on a brand new $10+k Honda or Kawasaki, but think it's perfectly fine for <$1500 Chinese toys.