View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 01:26 PM   #2

Spud's bike's model was an anomaly among Chinabikes. Keep in mind, like GM, or Chrysler since you have Mopar440 as your nickname, who make all different kinds of models of cars, Zongshen is a massive motorcycle concern (at least in China) churning all kinds of models, as well as being the OEM for engines for some manufacturers (i.e. my TMEC 200 enduro has a Zongshen engine even thought it is a proprietary TMEC engine--there are other companies who use Zongshen as their proprietary engines, too, since the EPA no longer allows companies to simply slap in a EPA certified Lifan or Zongshen engine anymore).

The bike Spud has is very unusual because it uses a Yamaha-cloned engine (TW 200 I believe?). In fact, many of the parts from this particular Zongshen interchange with the real deal Yamaha engine it copies.

Your bike is far closer to the vast majority of Chinese bikes who use a Honda-cloned engine. In other words, your bike is closer to my bike, as far as engines are concerned. However, there are no real Honda parts that will interchange with these engines.

Furthermore, I think I know, or at least have a theory, as to why your bike is a dirt bike as opposed to an enduro: It was either the EPA or DOT (probably both) who started cracking down on the vast numbers of non-DOT certified bikes flooding the US that came with full street lighting. EPA, too, since there are different certifications for street and off-road bikes as far as engines (part of the same reason each manufacturer has to make whatever brand's engine as their proprietary engine, including the several thousand dollars certification cycle).

So, I believe, the manufacturers had to start stripping what were once off-road bikes with full street-lighting of their street lighting to make them definitely off-road.

The irony in all of this is that as much as the federal government wants to distinguish between dirt and street, it comes down to all 50 states DMV rules and regulations--some states will allow an off-road only bike like a quad or a side-by-side UTV to be street-plated anyway!

Your bike was a result of the crack-down, which is why it looks like the street/enduro versions. As well, it is the Honda-ish bike unlike Spud's bike, but that is not a bad thing, either, since the Honda-like engines are good performers and have great reliability.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard