View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

After nightfall arrived, I took the bike for a ride to test the headlight patterns. At first, I had the headlight pointed too high. However, I quickly returned home, and discovered the headlight was very easy to adjust for the proper angle.

As stated earlier, the low beam has a distinct horizontal cutoff in the pattern, and is aimed significantly lower than the high beam. The light pattern is well very focused. In fact, it is too focused for my preference. I don't think the low beam casts enough light to the side of the road.

The high beam is also very focused, but casts a little more light to the side. The high beam projects well down the road, and illuminates the signs very well. However, once again, I would prefer a much wider light pattern.

Final Analysis

After replacing the stock HS1 bulb with an H4 bulb, I prefer the light patterns from the stock headlight over the LED headlight. I ride off road a lot, and the stock headlight illuminates the side of the road much better than the LED headlight. The wider illumination patterns make it easier to see rocks, ruts, and other obstacles on an unpaved road. Since the RX3 headlight is attached to the frame, rather than the triple tree, the wide light patterns also make it easier to see the side of the road while negotiating turns on city streets. Therefore, I prefer the stock headlight, with an H4 bulb, over the upgraded LED headlight.

I replaced the LED headlight with the stock headlight, and I will compare the brightness of the two light patterns this evening. However, any differences in brightness aside, I am sure I will still prefer the light patterns from the stock headlight.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894