View Single Post
Old 04-11-2024, 03:39 PM   #4

All good points Jocko. I am not in favor of removing EPA equipment. I maintain the cat systems on both my son's 2002 cars (a Civic LX and a Suzuki Vitara). In fact, I bought and installed the primary and secondary converters on the Vitara (secondary cat theft) along with a complete exhaust system recently. And before that, I replaced the manifold/converter on the front of the Civic to OEM standard as well.

On my Templar however, I fell over in dried weeds and the red hot converter lit a fire under the bike in less than a second last Summer. My right foot was trapped under the rear fender. By the time I struggled out, dragged the bike away (fortunately and clay and dirt patch nearby), I was barely able to stamp out the fire, but it melted the insulation on my spark plug wire and the flames were rising up past the carb while I was pinned. I haven't panicked like that for a long time.

Forest Service will tell you that Cats are responsible for car fires in campgrounds, dirt bikes too. It is a significant fire hazard.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-11-2024 at 04:19 PM.