View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #626

Oil change and valve adjustment

Not all today, but finished up today!

1. Rode a couple hundred miles to get the oil good and warm; when I got home, mileage was at 4223, or about 2900 since my last oil change.

2. Dropped the oil, filters, etc, and replaced oil drain plug with the CSC quick-drain kit that I purchased back in June, along with the CSC skid plate.

3. Somehow stripped the threads on one of the studs (or crossthreaded the nut) that holds the cover for the replaceable oil filter in place. Didn't realize it wasn't tightened all the way down until I started the bike and blew oil everywhere!

4. Ordered two new threaded studs (25 cents each) and 10 new nuts (20 cents each) for a total of $2.50-shipping was quick via USPS, but cost $4.40-the peril of buying small stuff, I guess.

5. Replaced the threaded stud-that went smoothly, and took about 2 minutes with a heat gun and some ViseGrips.

6. Tore it all apart for a valve adjustment, adjusted the valves, did something wrong, started it up, and it was LOUD. Not sure what I did. Shut it down immediately, tore it apart, adjusted valves again (set them all at 0.08 mm), buttoned it up, and it purrs like a kitten. Replaced the oil I blew out last week, and she's ready to ride.

This mechanic learning curve can be steep for one who's never done stuff like this before, but this forum is a HUGE help and I can't say thank you enough for all the things I've learned here.

Here's a couple of places I've taken the bike this summer:
Attached Images