View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 10:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowheeler View Post
I bought the wrong NGK Iridium plug (DPR8EIX-9). It's longer than the OEM. I just ordered some OEM plugs. I could not find NGK DPREIX-9 (iridium). Maybe NGK discontinued it, or maybe it's a typo here, Idk. Also, my M rear shock is not the same as the X. There's no room to drill another hole. I've tried to put compressors on it to remove/replace it, but you can only get 1 on and it looks sketchy. I'd like to be able to get on it without Jackie Channing my leg over it. I'm definitely replacing the carb. The stock one is poorly adjusted. It spits and sputters and stalls. Also it makes the exhaust turn orange, when warming up. I can still start it and ride, but it uses a lot of fuel with it backfiring or whatever. I wish there were a dealer or shop that would work on it near me. There used to one, within 10 miles. None anywhere now. The Jap shops won't touch it, save for one place that will replace tires, etc. Any help/advice is welcome and appreciated. All I can find on here is tons of stuff about the X. I should have gotten it, but changed my mind at the last minute. I just had to have a kickstart.
DPR8EIX-9 will work in the ZS172FMM-3A engine. Yes, it is slightly longer than the stock plug but dozens (possibly hundreds) of people have been running this plug without issue. To be safe you could install it and hand crank the engine to confirm clearance.

DPREIX-9 was a typo. All NGK plug numbers have a numeric value in the middle that represents the heat range of the plug. Thanks for pointing out my typo, I have corrected it.

Are you sure there is no spring pre-load adjustment on the rear shock? Only the X has damping adjustments but the base model definitely has pre-load adjustment and I was certain that the M also had pre-load adjustment rings.

Please do me a favor and start a new thread for your bike. Ask questions there and you should get lots of useful help. We are trying to keep this thread dedicated to general information about the Templar models. Thanks and by all means tune or replace the stock carb. It comes tuned too lean.