View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Memorial Day Parade

A couple of weeks ago I was asked if I'd be willing to give a disabled vet a ride in the sidecar. The ride would be in the local Memorial Day Parade. I didn't hesitate. This a pic my wife took of Roger and I.

I've known Roger almost twenty years. Ex-Marine, Vietnam Vet and owner of the local bakery. Over the last three years I have seen his health deteriorate to the point that he can hardly walk. He is very involved in the VFW, where he is a past commander. The parade is very important to him and this was the first year that he knew he wasn't up to marching. When he learned that I volunteered the Ural, he was the first to ask for the co-pilot seat. So I obliged him.

The parade went well, though I had to slip the clutch a lot. Going to have talk to whoever routed the last 300 yards of the parade uphill on a fairly warm day. We got to the end and as I helped Roger get out of the sidecar, he hugged me and said he owed me big time. He doesn't owe me anything, it's the other way around.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts