View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopsweat View Post
The guy I saw used an old link that was cut off to press against the side of the new master link, then a regular clamp to squeeze it down carefully.

Tapering the master link pins is where I'm scratching my head, without using the special tool.

Also, does it sound like a good idea to lay the new chain next to the old one to measure it, and remove the new links to keep it 1-2 links longer than the old one? I'm sooo worried about removing a link too many.
Did you get a chain with a rivet-type master link, or a clip-type master link? A proper rivet tool is pretty essential to ensure a secure fit with a rivet-type master link. Although there are alternative methods, it's not something you'd want to chance. Losing a chain while riding can be pretty dangerous if it wraps up in such a fashion to lock the rear wheel. If it wraps around the countershaft sprocket it wouldn't be as dangerous but could cause some pretty extensive damage. Best case for a lost chain is that it just drops off on the road. Even that can be precarious depending on the situation. A clip-type master link doesn't necessarily require any special tools but you do need to make sure the outer link plate is squarely pressed over the pins and properly seated, but not over-seated so as to cause a bind in the links, before installing the clip. It's not rocket science but you can bend the link plate if you go about it in a ham-fisted manner.

As for being worried about removing too many links, just wrap the chain around the sprockets, on the bike, and leave one end of the chain at about the 2 o'clock position on the rear sprocket. Then bring the other end of the chain up to meet that end of the chain that's already on the sprocket while pivoting back as many links as you need to in order to make the ends meet. Physically mark the chain with a grease pencil, crayon, paint dab, or whatever so you're absolutely sure you'll be shortening the chain on the right link. I think that once you go to do it you'll realize it's not as complicated as you may be thinking it is.
-2024 CSC TT250, stage 3 motocult kit, Nibbi PE28FL with custom-made cable controlled choke, modified stock muffler (larger diameter tailpipe), custom oil cooler installation with relocated stock evaporative emissions canister, oversized stainless steel footpegs, IMS folding tip shifter, a few little blingy bolts and bits. More personal preference mods to come.