View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I'm not so sure about the hammock camping. I see a lot of it on camping forums but how about when you have 20+ mph winds? and when it pours? Can you get the protection from everything that wants to bite, sting and suck the blood out of you? Where would I store my rifle? .
You do need a tarp the cover the hammock (see one of the Amazon links in my first post) if you expect rain and wind. Depending on how you stake out the tarp (close to the hammock and low to the ground) your hammock and gear will stay dry and wind will be blocked. If it's large enough, you can close the ends for even more protection. Bug netting can be draped over the hammock using a ridge line to keep the critters off if need be. Hennessy, ENO and others have integrated bug netting for some of their hammocks. Gear is stored under the hammock and tarp set up. Most people bring a small piece of Tyvek or heavy plastic 3'x3' or so to place gear on.

BTW. There are elk in the East. There are transplanted elk in Kentucky and Pennsylvania. http://www.pgc.pa.gov/wildlife/wildl...s/default.aspx

I'm spoiled for both elk and mule deer here in Colorado.

Rojo

Last edited by rojo_grande; 01-25-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added comments