Thread: Moto Cult
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Honestly, it's more fun to do mods one at a time. You really get a feel for what each upgrade does and how the jetting needs change. In my time with the Hawk I ran it stock (with properly jetted carb) did the air box mod, noticed almost nothing. Did the exhaust next, great total increase in power, but really opens up the top rpm range the most. Next was my self ported head, and again, big increase in power across the board, and honestly if I were to build a bike for somebody, I would do those mods and one of the milder cam grinds and call it a day.

I did see a small gain in power with the big bore, again across most of the rpm range, but especially down low and in the middle. Up top, not so much. If their head is better than mine, it wasn't enough for me to notice a whole heck of a lot in terms of power, but there was a little more there, but that is down to small things like the valves being back cut. Idle and rideability are excellent, even with the 292 cam.
I agree with all of that.

Only "mod/upgrade" where I wasn't sure if it did anything at all, was the 4 degree timing advance. I'm sure it contributed something somewhere somehow, but I didn't notice.