View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #29

You Need A Bigger Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
...To be adequate, I'd need to be able to easily hold 75mph (actual) on a highway with mild hills. I'm not talking steep grades, I'm talking hills you don't even realize are hills until you're on an under-powered 250. Central NC piedmont hills. Ideally I'd like it to do 80mph, but adequate is 75mph in these conditions.

To be exceptional, it needs to be able to hold 75 up steep grades on I40 around the eastern Asheville area. I don't expect this from the RX3. I'd call it adequate and be happy if it can do 65mph up those grades. There are a lot of cars that can't manage that.

Thoughts?

Charles.
You need to be looking at a larger class of machine, if a steady 75-80 MPH is what you want from a bike without stressing the engine or the rider. Assuming that low cost is one of your primary criteria, then one of the new Royal Enfield 650cc twins, either the Continental GT or the INT, should be on your list, if it has to be a new bike . The RX4 should do it also, but a twin would be much better at it. Otherwise, look at a used Suzuki VStrom 650 or Kawasaki Versys 650. I have the Versys, and I can vouch for the fact that it will do 75-80 all day long, with luggage, and not break a sweat. You can find low mileage, 1-2 year old Vstroms and Versys' for around $5000-$6000. Many come with luggage. Here is a 2017 Versys 650LT, with 5600 miles on it, in your neck of the woods:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcd/d...858681703.html

Other used bikes to consider would be the Yamaha FZ-07 or the more touring oriented FJ-09, now known as the MT-07 and Tracer 900, respectively.