View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #26

Good input, Sully. Places like Texas have long ways between stops. Hence, speed is a real time saver. Try riding across Texas at 55mph. You are looking at 13 hours drive time on the quickest routes, not counting traffic slowdowns, fuel stops, or potty breaks. Frankly, if you can't make time better have lots of it.

Worst thing on long, lonely highways are road trains. Some smaller ones, doubles and triples, can pop up almost anywhere in North America. Some longer rigs are occasionally seen in Canada and western U. S. of A. in remote areas.

Australia is worse--road trains at 160kph on gravel. Talk about getting pounded! One learns quickly when motorcycle touring rural Australia to watch for road trains, and when you see the dust rising get 50 meters away from the road and marvel at so much mass going so fast. Not unusual to see trains with 6-12 trailers. Record seekers have hooked 120+ trailers to a single mover and driven them short distances. That's a rig just shy of a mile long rolling down the highway.

So, lots of miles brings out some solutions that seem silly to people who live in places crowded with traffic and everything within a few miles of home.

80mph is my limit on the highway, less if a significant headwind. Without a windshield the wind blast wracks my neck. With a windshield can't hardly keep a bike with upright ergos heading in the right direction. Wind and turbulence from passing vehicles compromises stability. Definitely a safety issue. Doesn't seem to mater if I'm on a RX3, CB550, Nighthawk 750, or most any other bike with upright ergos. That's why I ditched the windshield on my RX3, replacing it with a flat visor held on with the stock hardware through holes drilled in the right places.

My last ride was 8 hours at 70mph, with the last 6 hours in steady rain with temps between 40* and 50*F. The RX3 was capable and confident as long as I kept her below 80mph to avoid speed wobbles. The RX3 performed well until I go bad gas. No more Shell for my little Chinese honey.

Oh, got a 300 jug and piston for my RX3 on the way. Still going up a couple teeth on the rear wheel sprocket, too. Ought to pull well out of the hole.