View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #29

Yss shock is here! Looks like a quality unit. I have run my fingers over every edge, not a sharp part to be found. The machining is very nice.

Users on the grom forums were complaining about split center bushings. I think either YSS listened, or they bought fake reproductions. Note the solid bushings and part markings. This was not made on old tooling.
Name:  yss1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  75.6 KB

Another tell of a not-clone is printed spring rate and part number on the spring. The spring has one drip mark (you can tell it was dip-painted) then the lettering added later. Gas port is also clocked with a definite paint line marking position. No oil wiping on the piston rod. This is made to tighter tolerances than some Koni, Bosch, and Sachs suspension I have put on BMWs.
Name:  yss2.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  74.7 KB

See those two reflections where the tool changed direction? This part was not polished/burnished in a separate process. That's straight from the machine. Body threads are not at all sharp. They are buttery smooth.
Name:  yss3.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  71.0 KB
I am impressed. Locking screw for the preload adjustment also came with a fiber pad between it and the threads. No thread galling from the lock. So what's the first thing I did? Dropped that set screw straight into a trash bag filled with kitchen waste.

I'm just going to buy a $0.30 nylon-tipped set screw.