Thread: Rustic Roads
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #1

Rustic Roads

I first heard about this Rustic Roads thing late last year. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...usticroads.htm

As friend Dave and I were both free of the wimmin folk today, we tried our luck at hitting the 10 today.

6:30am in my little town. Dave has a 1983 GL650.

Potty stop in Harvard, IL. Dave's friend, Jarrod, rode with us to Walworth, WI. He has a new Yamaha SR400.

First Rustic Road, Snake Rd, west of Lake Geneva, WI. Dave's smiling face then my mug.

There's nine more of each of those, so I won't bore you guys with those. But there were others.

This is what a lot of the scenery was like. Quiet, little traveled roads.

How often do you see a Ford GT-40 at a small town gas station?

It weren't all fun and games, though. At the third Rustic Road foto-op, I dropped the Maggot. I set the side stand down, shut down the engine, and started to get off just as the side stand folded up. I rode it down, breaking the fall with my left ham string and the clutch lever. Much cussing ensued as I untangled myself from the bike. Dave helped me stand her back up. The pain in the back of my leg is telling me it isn't a pulled muscle. It's a tear, AGAIN. (If I had a couple of bucks for every torn ham string muscle I've had, I could buy a big lunch). I ignore the pain and check out the bike. Other than the clutch lever being a bit shorter, there is no damage. Phew!

I grit my teeth and we pressed on, getting our 10th and final road in by noon. The last road dumps us into the area I grew up. We stop for lunch and then I take every short cut I know that gets us back into home territory in less than 90 minutes.

176 miles for me and 202 for Dave. The pain has eased somewhat, but will be a whole new experience tomorrow. A new clutch lever and cable will be here by mid week.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts