View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbracing View Post
Maybe we can get them to the table. Set up shop in Missouri and service the entire United States. I'm ready and able.
The problem with any of the Chinese companies since I have followed the Chinese motorcycle industry for a bit longer than this site has been in existence is that none of the companies seem to want to actually invest here (or any other market). They rely on importers/distributors.

It works out in other countries because the price of bikes across the board are so high, it is worth it for importers. Even in Canada, there are many tariffs and whatnot across the board, so a $4500 Honda XR250 in the US would add much more in Canada. So, enterprising Canadians can offer Chinese bikes far cheaper there where they make more sense pricewise, even with the tariffs, taxes, etc. Here, the profit margin is low, so many importers have come and gone.

It would take an investor (well funded one at that) to properly fund bringing Zongshen to the US again. Spud mentioned the bikes costing $3300 or so, which wouldn't necessarily be the case since that is retail price (even in China). But, I am doubtful Zongshen will invest several million of its own dollars to open up for business, unfortunately.

Then, what price would it be worth to purchase a Zongshen vs. the Honda dual sport? Even with the quality improvement over the years, and the extras thrown into the deal, could someone realistically charge more than $3000 in the US? $3500, and you are only a grand away from Honda's MSRP, which doesn't make a big difference if you need to finance either one, as far as monthly payments go.

I could see if Piaggio brought these in to sell alongside their scooters under the Piaggio name, or Aprilia. Kind of like how M1nsk sells them under their name (M1nsk does still have a cult following in many countries, and their domestically produced bikes were terrible as far as quality is concerned, so this bike is a big, huge improvement for them, ironically). A Piaggio warranty and dealer network would help seal some deals, and with the proven quality and reliability once these bikes have a few years of being sold worldwide by the time they even got here.

SSR's dirtbike, for now, is the closest we will get to these, and if the engine is bulletproof, or close to it, at least that part of the research and quality tracking is taken care of here in the US. But that bike is obviously used for far different purposes than the RX3...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard