View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 08:54 PM   #50

Now, here's a HORN

I'm getting ready for a fairly short trip out to Appomattox, Virginia for a Horizons Unlimited meet. At this point in time I am at the Good Idea Cutoff Point (Army phrase, but it fits). Today the plan was to install better horn/s. At the same time I wanted to modify the bash plate so I gave more clearance around the exhaust. Truth be told, the accessory bash plate that CSC sells is a fine bit of metal work. Seriously, that's a nice job of cutting, bending, and welding. It's just a bit snug around my exhaust. Here's my plan:

I can trim off the part indicated and not change the protection significantly. A band saw works perfectly.
Next, I need to drill holes to mount new horns. When I tried to put the horns in the general location of the OEM horn I realized that there just was no room for these suckers. If you want LOUD you gotta have room. Thus, mounting on the bash plate, which will still be inboard of the crash bars. The horns are made to mount on really thin stock so I had to counterbore the holes. Nice to have a mill.

Then it's time to install the new horns. One consideration is that the OEM horns are run on really small wires (seems to be typical in motorcycle land) so those wires and the associated switches won't handle the current needed for a decent horn. You need a relay. I used the OEM horn lead to trigger my relay. Then a 14 gauge lead provides the current and ground for each horn. Now the bike no longer sounds like a baby goat on its last legs, I will get attention! Yes, it's not the most attractive setup but it sure works.

the horns are still inboard of the crash bars. I have this set up so I can disconnect at one point and remove the bash plate for oil changes.

Just a note, in order to power this (and other stuff to come later) I installed a fuze block.

right now the horn is not switched. I still need to determine the best way to get a switched power lead (normally I use the tail light). At some later date I will add wiring for heated gear. FWIW, I'm pulling my + from the starter solenoid connection. That saves me from having a rats nest of connection on the battery.

Here's the OEM horn...what a wimp!

no wonder why they kick sand in his face!

Last edited by pyoungbl; 04-24-2016 at 09:42 PM.