View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #22

2LZ, I didn't even think to ask, but perhaps I am so used to the answer being "Californians need not apply" that I (subconsciously) didn't bother to ask?! They are in So. California, but as we know too well, that doesn't mean anything, unless it has to do with off-road-only motorsports products, which must be far more lenient to CARB certify.

My guess is--their lineup will be predominantly 49 state legal, but that is my guess. If they plan to be a 'player,' which many aspiring companies do, they need to include California, which some have done. However, at the price points we are used to Chinese bikes being at, I am most certain CARB certification is cost-prohibitive.

If they are strategizing, I would think that their mini 150 would be a good bike to CARB, because, if I am not mistaken, 150cc is the minimum engine size to take a motorcycle on the freeways. I remember Joe from CSC posting videos of him riding on the greater L.A. metropolitan area freeways on his little Mustang replica 150 when CSC manufactured those (I was hoping to see videos of their 229cc Mustang on the freeway when they manufactured those). Perhaps Lifan will throw in a KP(R)200 fuel-injected engine into a mini? And CARB certify it! That would be interesting for you California guys...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard