View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #183

Rode Memorial Day with a bunch of Harley's . Great fun on the twisties of Oregon's Rattlesnake Hwy3. Never rode a big Harley but they must be a lot of bike to herd through mountain twisties as I had to wait for them to come off the mountain. The Rx3 was a hoot. Only time I wished I had more bike was chasing them up long mountain hills.
I rode most of the day with my headed jacket liner and heated grips on and the 300watt alternator kept up fine. Also was trying out my new seat that CSC sells that I think is gel and it was a big improvement over stock. I was also trying my new "Motoskivees" undies that have padding for ADV type riding. Wanted to give all this stuff a shakedown before the weekend of the 18th when I hope to do a Iron Butt 1000 on it.
So I have a few questions that came to mind when I was riding about electronics that I thought about but are above my paygrade so I thought I'd run them by you guys.
1)What happens to all that electricity if I don't use my heated stuff? Where does it go? Tires are rubber so it can't go to the ground. I know some of it charges the battery but where does all the extra go?
2) Does bike use more gas and or power to run the heated stuff? Like an air conditioner on a car when kicked in? Bike didn't seem to care if they were on or off, ran the same.
3) Does running a bunch of extra electrical load heat up and wear out the alternator? I have a friend who is on his 3rd alternator on his BMW 650gs with 130,000 miles on it.
All in all a good day but now I have a code in my nosed, rj