View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #3

Just local riding mostly. Nothing over 55mph on back roads and around my house. I have a large piece of property. The FXr would be perfect to access that but the TT250 would be better for the road. I really do like the RX3. The RX3 would be overkill for me. The bags would be useless and ditched. I have a local SSR dealer and he has a XF250 coming it. That might be the better choice. There is no hurry for me to buy, until Spring.

The Honda GROM cylinder kit may fit this engine, not sure yet. A bigger carb and taller gearing would help keep the highway speeds up. The bigger problems are the carrying capacity and the .9gal fuel tank. Whatever I get will probably be used on a Blue Ridge Parkway trip that my old riding buddies are planning next Summer. That gives me time. The speeds on the BRP are only 35 to 45mph. The FXr125 will do that all day and is different enough to be interesting. The RE Himalayan is also on my list. I was recently at Moto City Cycles in Cleveland, Ohio to check on them. Great bike but it too may be overkill for me. I have no plans to get serious about riding again. The Himalayan problems bother me too.

The FXr would get Pirelli MT43 DOT trials tires. My essential trip kit could be carried in a small OGIO backpack and a drybag. I have lightweight camping gear, so that's not a big problem. We'll stop for food, rain gear and my waterproof bivy is about all I need, aside from extra skivies and road snacks. Maybe an extra liter or 2 of fuel.

Thanks!

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II