View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
I would assume that you would want to check it with the wheel off the ground, or does it matter?

How do you access the valve? Do I have to take everything apart? My valve faces the rear. I'm thinking of removing the shock and reinstalling it with the valve facing the front. Will it fit? Will I be able to access it then?

Rebound adjustment and preload: What is a good starting setting? I am a lightweight, 160 lbs w/o gear.
The following thread describes how you set the shock spring preload.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14677

You might be able to check the air pressure from the top. I can't guarantee a minor difference in air pressure will make any difference in shock performance, but it can't hurt to try. However, adjusting the spring preload will certainly improve the performance of the shock.

The schrader valve of the stock shock absorber is located in the same position as the pressure valve on the Progressive shock absorber.

You must remove the saddle, fuel tank, and a small emissions canister to see the valve from the top.

Remove the valve cap, and you might be able to get a small pressure gauge onto the valve, if you have small hands. Lift the rear wheel to get the weight off the shock before you measure the pressure.

If you cannot access the pressure valve from the top, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm beginning to doubt a small difference in air pressure will have much effect on the performance of the stock shock absorber.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 12-09-2015 at 05:24 PM.