Thread: Fork Fluid
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
Thanks for the post, 2LZ.

I haven't replaced the fork oil yet, but have been thinking about it.

The front end of my RX3 has a "jittery" up and down motion to it.

I was hoping new fork oil might cure it.

And mote than likely, the new fork oil would be a better quality than the factory oil.

What weight oil did you use? Did you flush out the old oil with ATF fluid?

jb
I've been strung out on Bel Ray 10W since my young MX days. It's all I've ever run. I used to use ATF as a kid but once I got more aggressive, it would foam and blow up the forks. I don't ride like that now but I've never had any bad results with the Bel Ray.
The biggest thing I noticed is now the forks really function in that first 1-2" of travel. Eats up the small stuff now.

I didn't flush them, just let them ooze for a while until they dripped at least 50 times. I flipped them back and forth a couple of times looking for that mystery 80cc's but both forks acted identically.

Typical RX3 though. Compared to the smaller bikes, it's a pain to wrench on. You have to remove the cowl around the ignition just to get to the upper tree bolts and you have to undo all the plastics and pull them away from the tank to access the lower tree bolts. As usual, it's the plastics you spend a bunch of time on, not the actual project.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350