Thread: Fork Fluid
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Fork Fluid

I was going to do a simple post in "What did you do to your RX3 today" but thought I'd start this instead.

Has anyone here changed their fork fluid yet? I did yesterday. Got bored, all three of my Penske Boyz were knocked out of the NASCAR race so I thought no better time to gut the front off the RX3 and do the fluid.

Now....with the TT250, I recorded 320cc's drained from each tube. Makes sense because they're rated at 330cc's and there's always leftovers inside unless you do a complete teardown.

The RX3 forks are supposed to hold the same amount (330cc's), according to the CSC tutorial. Now, just like the TT forks, the RX3 forks worked well enough, but had that harsh little bit at the first "bounce" of travel that you could feel in your wrists and elbows. Nothing big but it was there, nonetheless. Other than that, I was happy with how they handled the rough stuff and twisties.

Well, well.....I was only able to coerce 250cc's from each fork tube....and they're supposed to be holding 330cc's. I understand that there will always be some left inside, lining the tubes, dampening rods, springs, etc...but 80cc's?

Anyway, I refilled with the same amount (250cc's) of Bel Ray 10W (I'm currently 220 lbs) and went out for a burn. That first little harsh bit, gone. The forks now eat up all the little stuff the road feeds them. Even with the odd "lesser amount", they feel just fine.

Anyone else had this experience with the fluid volume? Unless there's some "mystery chambers" that are holding upwards of 80cc's of fluid, they seem to work just fine with the amount I refilled. I surely didn't want to overfill them.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350