View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Just to touch on an above post. After some thought on this and given the intended use. I am most likely going to look for a small CC electric start motorcycle engine. As pointed out above this will provide me a charging system as well as the lighting system from the donor motorcycle. Rather then using a full size car battery as originally planned the more likely set up will be a pair of motorcycle batteries wired in parallel to double the capacity. Other option being back to the car battery idea but one for an import car such a civic. As for the reverse idea. I have heard of it being done with modified starter motors. But i will dig more into that as i would not be surprised if there are dedicated 12 volt motors with a sprocket on them for this specific purpose.
Darkrider,
I have been considering going with a new Honda electric start engine. This would solve quite a few potential problems. Another option is a Honda flywheel and dual Honda charge coils. This could solve the lighting problem and allow me to keep the lightweight Hemi Predator engine. The Honda flywheels are not prone to failure like the clone flywheels supposedly are. That might be the way to go and I’ll check into it. Work lights for use at night would be nice to have. I just purchased a Tillotson carb (the hot ticket for fueling these small engines). I’ll most likely stay with the Hemi engine for now. I’m also thinking about adding a small motorcycle gel battery and solar panel that I have, to keep it charged. A battery tender will be used in the garage to keep the battery topped off.

I’ve been working on a few other additions that I would like to add to my CT200U. I’ll be posting about them in my build thread.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II