View Single Post
Old 04-18-2024, 11:06 PM   #9

MPG readout, and a few mods

The first 100 miles are already on the bike, with the 18T front sprocket and 1.4 gal of fuel, I'm seeing 71MPG.
It's well below my desired values, and with a 30T rear sprocket that value should increase to roughly 80 MPG, which is still far below the 100MPG I had expected for a 150cc bike like this.
If in the near future, I can upgrade the 18T front to a 19T front, and the 30T rear with a 29T rear sprocket, I can increase mpg further to an estimated ~90MPG.

Some contributing factors to low MPG are the following (also some factors that will result in better MPG):
- The engine still is in the break-in period, and uses a bit more fuel than when it's fully broken in. This due to metal flakes in the oil, and parts seating and finding their place.

+ After break-in the bike should get slightly better fuel economy.

- I also see myself riding the bike at higher speeds in the near future, which would certainly also lower MPG.

- The engine now has high zinc oil in it, which also lowers MPG

+ In the near future I will use lower zinc oils which increase MPG, and may experiment with lighter weight oils, to see if I can get even better MPG that way.
Though I will base my oil on the engine response to the type of oil I pour in, meaning based on the vibrations I feel from the bike, not on what gets me best MPG.
Lower vibrations usually mean a better suited oil weight for the engine.
Normally, engines running at 6 to 9k RPM are better off with lighter weight oils.
Knowing that the bike may have a wet clutch that needs motorcycle oil (though the manual says to just use 10W40 motor oil, not motorcycle oil), I will probably use lighter weight oils further in the future; as to not screw up the clutch.

+ I'm contemplating on running a 19T sprocket up front, and just run it without sprocket cover, as I'm not keen on mutilating the cover, just to fit the 19T. Without cover, perhaps even a 20T front sprocket may fit, who knows? If it could fit, I will definitely want to try; though the 20T costs twice the price of a 19T.

+ The 30T rear sprocket is still on the way. Once it does, I can better see if a 29T may fit or not...

+ Other than that, I've been thinking about modifying the intake on the bike. From what I read, the OEM airbox is a restriction, and I've been contemplating on putting a cold air intake with pod filter inside the airbox, and drilling out the airbox for more airflow.
The cold air intake (preferably a solid aluminum tube) should increase performance at higher RPMs. The airbox should lower some of the air intake noise, and help with better filtration and protection, though, maybe I'll just install a pod filter on the cold air intake, and throw away the airbox. It's a Chinese bike after all, not a $20k Harley.

The bike should run a bit leaner, which would probably be ok as the bike currently idles rich, and certainly doesn't run lean at full throttle yet.
It should also give the bike a bit more top speed, as I really feel that something is starving that bike past 5-6k RPM, and want to see if changing the air intake will do it.

Not sure if anyone can verify if this product will fit?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09VYZC26D/

Viiiibrrrrations

In the last few tens of miles, the engine vibrations at higher speeds (higher than 7k RPM) have somewhat lowered; meaning less vibration.
Still, the vibrations are so strong that I can feel the body plastics could be vibrating themselves to pieces in the near future, if the engine isn't going to smooth out a bit more...

Turn radius
One other thing I dislike about the Condor/Vader/Lifan/X-Pro 150, is that it's turn radius is ridiculously large. It's hard to move around in small spaces.
I've been contemplating on grinding down half of the stops on the fork, that prevent the handlebars from going further.
The steering is just fine for riding, but not good for when trying to push the bike around tight spaces, without going back and forth a few times.