View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

The China carbs are not measured correctly, AFAIK. I've installed several 30mm Mikuni carbs on 200CC and 230CC motors, and those have a 30mm cross-section at the choke opening. The proper way (if I understand correctly) is to measure the cross-section of the venturi opening, just prior to the throttle slide.

I'm pretty sure that your existing carb will measure 24-26mm at the choke opening, which is how to compare your carb with other China offerings. Try to buy the same size.

No, the throttle being stuck would not allow fuel to flow in a non-running engine. The throttle only controls airflow, and fuel will be pulled into the airstream as it rushes into the cylinder. The float valve is much like a toilet; when the bowl is full, the float closes the valve. Also like a toilet, the valve eventually wears out or gets debris stuck in it. Start by removing the entire carb and cleaning it thoroughly.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer