View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 03:14 AM   #14

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, been talking with Mr Yang from FAI every day for what seems like ages now. I havent got it all sewn up yet but almost there now.

I'm in full on panic mode trying to get the sidecar + four race bikes for the kids ready for the season opener in March so spending every last minute researching parts on the internet or building stuff in the freezing workshop which is hovering at about 6.5 deg C just now and yes I am using a heater too!

The EFI system it's self is all wrapped up I think. We then got talking about the flywheel timing and I thought it may be worth asking if FAI sell modified flywheels. They said they would be happy to sort one out and machine it to send with the rest of the system but needed to confirm what was on my engine. Although there are loads of units on Taobao that look similar Mr yang was preferring to get an OE part from Zongshen directly. They don’t make parts for my engine anymore apparently, its about 7 – 8 years old I think. So without me wanting to get involved with time consuming discussions with TB traders trying to work out if all those other CG flywheels on there are the same or not, I told Mr Yang to hold fire if he wasn’t confident he could lay his hands on the right part without too much greif. This was because by this time we had got onto talking about the AC DC thing. After a nice chat about what our favourite ACDC tune was (yes yes just kidding) it became apparent that I would need to convert the Zonger to DC for the EFI system and he wasn’t sure the currently available Zong parts would fit. I thought it best to leave the poor guy alone regarding all these complications for a bit although he doesn’t seem to mind my constant questions and I had already mentioned my other plan to him anyway………..

New plan, I wanted to get another motor, what I want is the KTM220 Duke lump but this inst going to happen anytime soon so I was tending towards getting another china engine to have a play with and then keep the old Zonger as a spare. I can gather dc conversion parts for it as I go. Then the idea is to get a flywheel for the new engine sent to FAI. This will save me some precious time.

So the new candidate is this little beauty. Haoyue 190.........

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=12499971385

It comes with a counter balance and non counter balance shaft option. The difference being the large growth hanging off the front and messing up the lower mount position. So my quandary is do I go for the balance shaft version or not? Will it help me in my situation? Lots of hard thrashing that is! Will it sap power or will it's extra smooth and loveliness let the engine wind up better? Hmm. I'm thinking to go for the non BS mainly to allow quick engine changes on the same mounts as the CG. What y'all think?