View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
That's the first step when hydraulic brakes won't engage. Is there any chance you got grease/oil on the pads? And...I've actually seen this done, so don't think I'm being an a-hole, but...are you sure you have the pads the right way? I've seen someone put the metal side towards the rotor, and yeah, it had little braking power. Aside from that, most brakes have an "inside" and "outside" pad. I haven't done the rear on this bike yet, so don't know if it does, but very likely. Check that they are in the right place.
  • I'm thinking it's not grease or oil on the pads since pumping the brakes temporarily corrects the problem.
  • I assume the pads are on correctly as per your suggestion because I never took them off and they used to function well. This part of the equation didn't change. When I took the rear wheel off, the caliper kind of dropped (it seems to need the wheel to hold it in place). But when I put the wheel back on, I put the caliper right back where it was. I am pretty sure I got this part right.
  • I will try bleeding the system here in a few minutes - gotta finish up some work first. Will report back what happens.