Thread: pair exshaust?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #2

I leave the pair systems on until there is a problem. In my experience they don't cause anywhere near half the problems people say they do. The only benefit I've found is that it's not there and you don't have to worry about it if there is a problem. Which rarely occur. I think half the time people are misdiagnosing cheap thick diaphragms and carb issues with vacuum leaks associated with pair system. In theory the pair system should make the engine more efficient and preform better.

For blocking hole I've used sheet / scrap metal and rtv before it worked well. I've also mig welded one I don't recommend doing that. I had a buddy tig in a plug and that worked well. But you are probably better off ordering non-emissions valve cover as they are more consistent as long as you get the bolts line up you're golden.

If you are watching the Brent's 49ccscoot PDI videos they are a tad to a lot overkill. By all means lock tight the important bolts and any nut and nut / bolt you install. I would be mainly worried about the front axle nut and the front caliper bolts. The back axle and drum are normally fine. Bolts holding on some of the plastics like come out but messing with some of them will just make it worse. Unless you really want to I see no reason to pull all the plastics off the bike. You can get to pretty much everything by pulling the bucket. Almost all wiring related issues in my experience are going to be in the front.

I just replace fuel line, filter, and petcock. Put a real NGK plug in. If I'm suspect of the carb replace it. Unseal the original and inspect it. You can get away with keeping stock vacuum lines in most cases if you are suspect replace them. If valve stems are leaking then replace them. I normally change the original valve stems with in or just after the first 500 miles.