View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

I had similar problems when I owned and operated cx500forum.com and tw200forum.com. Much of my problem was spammers and hackers. I had the entire Russian block banned as well as all of mainland china, and that only slowed the inevitable. I had to spend a lot of money on new software, and I had to keep upgrading it every year or discovered vulnerabilities would put my sites back in the crosshairs. It was a never-ending battle. Those hackers and spammers suck down CPU time like you wouldn't believe. Updated software did make a huge difference though, especially on the TW200 forum which wasn't as big as the CX500 forum. I also went with a host that *all they did* was host forum sites, and their support helped me manage things as well.

While that was better, eventually the hacking and spamming got so bad I couldn't manage the forums anymore, and I sold them both to a company that just manages forums for the ad revenue. The sites are no longer under my control, but they're in better hands. I was getting too frustrated to bother bringing the sites back up, and was considering letting them die just so I could not have a second job maintaining them. It's not like I was getting paid for it either, like chinariders.net it was just a labor of love.

Charles.