View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeege View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but can you guys suggest somewhere a layman could read up on "stroke" and "bore" and other engine bits?
That's an excellent question, and we all started somewhere. These gentlemen provided good resources for you, and I encourage you to read them.

To further the discussion, remember the lessons on volume of a cylinder in middle school math? If you measure the volume of the cylinder (in millilitres) when the piston is at the bottom, you'll get the size of the engine. A millilitre is the same volume as a cubic centimetre, so 250ml = 250cc.

If you measured the cylinder of a car (again, with the piston at the bottom) and then multiplied by the number of cylinders, you'd get the size of the total engine. As an example, if the volume of one cylinder multiplied by six cylinders = 3000ml, that is where we get the expression of a 3 litre engine. In case you're not as familiar with metric, 1000ml = 1 litre.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer