View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #19

Another question

Azhule gave me the heads up on TXPOWERSPORTS ("good lookin out" here in LAFAYETTE LA). I have read the other posts here @ chinariders about the pitfalls of the paperwork process when purchasing a chinese motorcycle. I am firmly in the camp that feels a little inconvenience on the paperwork side FAR outweighs the increased cost of buying a motorcycle in the conventional way.

Don't get me wrong, I bought a 2009 Kawasaki 500 KLTD last year from a guy here in Erath. Paid $2300 for an immaculate bike with 5400 miles on it. Got the bill of sale and the and title notarized the day of purchase (notarizing documents for vehicle purchases is a way of life here in LA). Guy left the plate on the bike. Plate transfer is ok in LA for motorcycles not automobiles. I rode the bike from Erath to Lafayette moments after purchasing it. After signing the bill of sale and title I called progressive and bought insurance ($82 for 12 months). So I was riding it completely legal from the get-go.

But I understand the process is going to be different this time around. For one it looks like I'm gonna have to buy the bike online from an out-of-state dealer. Would probably go with a local LA dealer to avoid the paperwork issues (or at least to help make them a little more seemless) knowing that I would be adding to the overall cost of the bike. But there are no local LA dealers for the RPS Hawk 250. So I'm willing to consider any suggestion for online dealers. I checked out JerryHawk250's suggestion of APSCUSA and they look competitively priced. $1399 delivered. About $100 more than TXPOWERSPORTS but without the headache. At least that is the way I am interpreting the suggestion so far. Any other suggestions?