View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #33

The H4 LED bulb performs very well, and I like it a lot. I am still contemplating whether the H4 incandescent bulb, or the H4 LED bulb is best. The LED bulb offers excellent conspicuity, even in daylight. Here is a photograph I took at midday of the H4 LED bulb from 20 yards, in a standing position.

Here is a photograph I took at midday of the H4 LED bulb from 20 yards, in a kneeling position.

I think the H4 LED bulb offers better daylight conspicuity than the Zongshen LED headlight. For comparison, here is a photograph I took at midday of the Zongshen LED headlight from 13 yards, in a standing position.

Here is a photograph I took at midday of the Zongshen LED headlight from 13 yards, in a kneeling position.

Since the light beam is not so narrowly focused, the H4 LED bulb is much more conspicuous in daylight than the Zongshen LED headlight.

In comparison to the H4 incandescent bulb, the H4 LED bulb casts more light to the sides of the motorcycle, so it illuminates the road better while turning corners on pavement, and while trying to avoid obstacles while riding off road after dark. In addition, the H4 LED bulb uses less power, generates much less heat, and lasts far longer than an H4 incandescent bulb. However, the H4 incandescent bulb definitely projects the light farther down the road, especially on high beam.

I will experiment more, and let you know my final conclusions after more deliberation. However, I will offer these preliminary conclusions. If you are riding fast at night on mostly straight pavement, the H4 incandescent bulb will let you see farther. However, if you are riding a lot at night in the city, or riding at night more slowly on winding paved roads, the H4 LED bulb will illuminate the corners much better. Also, the H4 LED bulb will make you much more conspicuous during daylight than the H4 incandescent bulb.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894