View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 12:49 PM   #12

Being that this thing is going to be a driver and not a full-on resto, I really have to think about where to draw the line at cost. I wish I had gotten a better pic but the right rear was punked in at one time. The trim was hammered and paint on the fender was missing. There are also other substantial chips in the paint on other areas.

I spoke with an auto body buddy and he says, "A quality repaint at our shop would flip this thing so far upside down, you'd never get your money out of it. You'd have to do it for love."

Sooooo....my young buddy came over and we went after it in budget fashion. I custom carved a wire brush handle on the grinder and he drove the hammer part of the process, while I aimed the small piece of lumber. We got the dent out to an acceptable level and then he went around the car with some Testors gloss black and a set of brushes. I sat back and drank a few beers. I think it turned out more than acceptable. The pot metal coving I was able to straighten and paint, and the stainless trim piece is on order. Total repair cost? 63 bucks. I'll take it.

The best part of the day? Spending time with my 26 year old buddy. He loves his "funcle". He's a firefighter on "Helattack" and doesn't get home often. I'm glad he chose to spend the day with me.
Attached Images

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350