View Single Post
Old 10-12-2023, 02:05 AM   #5

Thumbs Up

Wow Thumper, thanks for the detailed reply! I will verify that the MCO is unmarked. Still waiting for the kid to get back to me. Honestly I’m not sure how bills of sales work yet, so I’ll have to do some research on that. Do I just print a form and we both fill it out? You think they will make me pay the registration fee even though it wasn’t initially registered? I mean, I don’t believe the MCO was even filled out. The kid just received the bike, assembled it, threw it in the back of his truck and went on a ride in the middle of the desert. But either way, 100 bucks in fees isn’t really an issue, but thank you for pointing that out! I live in rural AZ. We don’t even have a fire department out here. Town is 1600 people. I don’t ever have to do emission tests for my car lol, so I kind of doubt they will make me pass any sort of inspection, but who knows. Good idea calling the DMV! I’ll definitely do that before buying the bike. Thanks again! This is a huge help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
No matter what State you are in you will need MCO (vehicle type "motorcycle" if you want it plated for road use), and bill of sale.

1. Verify the MCO is NOT marked up or written on, and same with the BOS
2. Make sure the seller is listed as buyer on the BOS
3. You will almost certainly need a second BOS from the seller, dated, with odometer reading indicated, because he is named on the original BOS

Miscellaneous...There will likely be a late registration fee. This is often a monthly increment, with maximum of some value (maybe $100).
You will need same things everyone else needs for your state. This is likely a personal property tax receipt, proof of financial responsibility (insurance).

You might need a State Highway Patrol "ID/OD" inspection. This is needed for cross State purchases in Missouri. This is just a form from your State police with odometer reading and VIN verification.

It is possible that you will need an inspection as well. In Missouri, it is no longer needed if the vehicle has under 149k miles on it. We were lucky when this change happened last year.

Make a call to your head office motor vehicle division and have a pen ready to check off the items you need. You do not want to be one of those bozos that are turned away after standing in line because you didn't find out in advance and get everything you need!

[0QUOTE=GigaXi;400366]Hi everyone! I’m a long time lurker, first time member! I’m looking to get a Chinese dirt bike, specifically a Templar 250. I found a kid that wants to get rid of his. He’s asking 500 bucks, which sounds almost too good to be true. He said he barely used it and everything works, except he took the carb off to do an upgrade but never actually got around to finishing it. He said everything works though, and honestly even if it doesn’t 500 bucks is kind of a steal (right?). But the thing is, when he received the bike he never got it registered. He still has all the papers that came with it. MCO and everything. Do you think I’d be able to get it registered in my name with the MCO? I’m in Arizona if that helps. Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I’ve never dealt with anything like this. Last time I switched cars it was just a simple title transfer. Thanks everyone! Hoping to become an active member of the community sometime within the next month!
[/QUOTE]