View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #19

Scoot_newb! I found you in the fb page! Hahahaha it all makes sense now.

Anyway, I have been fighting with the stupid tachometer, and getting the choke lever feel where I want. The tach is one infuriating piece of factory equipment. I have tried different ground points, different coils, different CDIs, different stators. When the RPM goes over 4.5K, the tach goes backwards, and then fluctuates. This means that it is all but invisible while riding. I have ordered a new generic dash from Amazon and have set aside riding the bike (to not rack up miles). I plan to set up the new tach with the proper mileage by setting the wheel size in the tach to as large as it will go, then mounting it on my drill press to make odometers match.
Name:  ghetto.JPG
Views: 606
Size:  23.6 KB
I really hope the new one solves the issue. I have tried grounds at the following points to see if that's the issue:
  • Ignition coil body/ground
  • Ignition coil frame mount
  • Engine case
  • Engine sidecover
  • Rear brake reservoir mount
  • Separating harness ground from body ground
  • Stacking harness ground and body ground
I have tried the following part swaps to see if that's the issue:
  • Blue "racing" CDI with Hellcat stator and ZS190 coil
  • Blue "racing" CDI with ZS190 stator and ZS190 coil
  • Blue "racing CDI with Hellcat Stator and Hellcat Coil
  • Blue "racing" CDI with ZS190 stator and Hellcat coil
  • Hellcat CDI with Hellcat stator and ZS190 coil
  • Hellcat CDI with ZS190 stator and ZS190 coil
  • Hellcat CDI with Hellcat Stator and Hellcat Coil
  • Hellcat CDI with ZS190 stator and Hellcat coil
  • Tried swapping the yellow wires for the hell of it. Nope. It's just two AC waveforms, as expected.
It all behaves the same! Gah! Hopefully the new speedo has a proper tach reading. I have pored over the Icebear and SSR Razkull wiring diagrams. The hellcat appears to be a closer to the Fuerza. It uses the 5-pin CDI like the Fuerza, but has a diode off the ignition coil like the SSR. The diode is crimped into a two prong connector under the tank and wrapped in electrical tape. The tach signal is then measured off what looks like the difference in ground potential between battery ground and coil ground? That's what it looks like here:
http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/...%20Diagram.pdf
Though the icebear makes it look like the tach is measured off the high pulse ignition signal http://www.icebearatv.com/media/file/news3886Scan.pdf (page 31).

Name:  SSR.JPG
Views: 644
Size:  73.4 KBName:  fuerza.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  57.1 KBName:  CDI_Pinout.JPG
Views: 601
Size:  27.5 KB
I am no elecchicken, but the tach seems to work at lower RPM and when the bike is not under load, making me believe the wiring is OK, and it's just a different configuration parameter in the dash? I wish they hadn't locked down the Hellcat dash firmware so much so I could play with the settings. It's going to be a pain to match the odometer. Any insight would be appreciated here.

My poor All Y'all carb is junk, but not for the reasons that others have found it to be junk. Most others in the swap page have found the lack of needle adjustment frustrating (and it is slightly, but I have M2.5 shims). The part that threw me was the choke bore! The choke is bored oversize so the plunger vibrates around inside and fuel creeps up the walls and finds its way into the head! But it's not a consistent stream of fuel which could be jetted for. SO I could roll the dice on another clone, and maybe another, or just bite the bullet and get the Nibbi. I got the Nibbi.

In other news, after riding my ZS-swapped Hellcat my younger brother suddenly needed a bike to play with. I reached out to Pete at Kronik but he said that per American Lifan, all KPM200s were sold out unless a dealer had one in their own warehouse. I have asked Don @ ShopAPMC for a refund on the KPM200 I ordered on April 10 and paid for on Apr 15.

We actually found a "used" KP Mini locally. It had a whole 88 miles on it. Red/black 2019 model (I do not like the 2020 color scheme). My bro does not have any riding gear nor a moto endorsement, so I rode it back to his place. Big mistake. The Lifan is nice. The seat is significantly more comfy, the rear suspension is in an entirely different league, the throttle tube is way less janky, and that counterbalance... Hoooo boy. At least I now have a seat to study for potential foam shaping on my DOOM kitten.

I do have two major issues with the Lifan though:

1. It has no shifter feel. I wear a size 13 shoe and the shifter is so light that if you bump it while moving your foot beneath, it will downshift. No tactility.
  2. The clutch is so light that it is completely devoid of all feedback. I am shocked that it doesn't slip more.