Originally Posted by pete View Post
did you measure the sags before adjusting the shock
to give you a idea where you need to be heading
or if you can get the correct setting with the standard spring
for your weight..

what you should be after is
35mm Static Sag. "bike under it's own weight"
33% - 1/3 of suspension travel , Rider Sag.. "Rider on bike"

That's the way I set up the shock preload on my other bikes, Pete. I used that method when I installed a stronger spring on the XT225 shock absorber of my Zongshen ZS200GY-2. I also used that method after I installed lowering links on both my Honda XR650L, and my Honda CRF250X.

I wanted to use that method on my Zongshen RX3, but my good friend who has helped me in the past was unavailable for about a week. The RX3 shock absorber is soft enough in stock configuration to be punishing at times. Also, it was set for the minimal spring preload, so I decided to experiment with the spring preload while I waited for my friend to find time to help me.

Because of the limited suspension travel, and the adventure/street bike characteristics of the suspension, I decided to adjust the spring preload for the best riding response on pavement and dirt while I waited for my friend to help me perform the traditional method.

I believe I have optimized the shock preload as best I can for the stock equipment, but the shock performance is still not satisfactory. I suspect either the limited suspension travel (5.6 inches) is not adequate for dual purpose riding, or, most probably, the stock shock spring is not strong enough for my weight.

Therefore, I am going to keep the current settings until my friend finds time to help me employ the traditional, proven method.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 05-10-2015 at 01:06 AM.