View Single Post
Old 07-25-2023, 09:13 AM   #22

as you can see, I used an old tour master tank bag from my Concours days as a trunk bag for the KLR. Right now it's doing duty as I collect tools and spare parts for ADV riding.

I ran through the first tank of gas. got around 160 miles on the tank and didn't hit reserve. it's a 5 gallon tank though, so that means my MPG is only in the 30s. Certainly not enough for a 650 thumper. I'm not surprised though because one of the first things I noticed starting the bike is the choke is non-functional. I'm pretty sure it's running too rich with the choke engaged more than it should be. I'll be pulling the carb sometime soon and do a clean/rebuild on it.

I also bought the tank saddlebags off amazon and installed them. they aren't in this pic. Thank Zipkin for that lead. They are not anything great, but a nice little convenience. They also dress up the tank and blend in to the black theme of the bike. They claim to be waterproof, but looking at them, that's a joke. That's ok though. I can work around that part.

Overall, it's ready to and adventure. I'm still looking for some saddlebags. something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7QG8P6B...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't plan to do week long adventures at this point, and probably not even camping. The Smokey Mountain 500 is on my short list for a trip. I can stay in some cabins along that route. Iron Horse motorcycle Lodge, Smitty's Lodge in Tellico Plains, and Two Wheels of Suches in Suches GA.

The South Carolina Adventure Route is on the short list too. I'm not as familiar with that track, so not sure about places to stay or eat. It's a bit more civilized route than the SM500, so I'm sure there are places.

I'm gonna try to drag LetsRide along with me, but if anyone else is interested, let me know. I don't have a timeline planned for any of this so far...just wild ideas.
Attached Images

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.