Thread: Sjcam sj4000
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
The clone tested out pretty well. Just wish they would have advertised it as a "Clone of SJcam4000 without WiFi", and there would have been no issues. Otherwise the software works better than SJCam's, and the picture looks every bit as good. I paid $40, but at $25, it's a no-brainer... cheap and effective camera.

Here's the YouTube video on how to do the external microphone mod. At $25 (or even $40) for the camera, I'd be less shy about trying. But note that you'll want soft/flexible wires as the points to solder are small, and thicker gauge wires will break off the copper wiring on the circuit board. (ask me how I know...)

[youtube]u96c321Ga68[/youtube]
I've done that mod twice now and have decided that I'll use these 2 I've got until they're dead. That mod can be a pain in the butt. If SJCam ever comes out with a factory camera with built in WiFi and external mic capability they will eat go-pros lunch because right now that external mic issues is the only downside to the SJ line. The mod requires patience and not fearing screwing up. You're right about the wiring...damned small circuitry and soldering. Get the thinnest electronics soldier you can and use the smallest tip on your iron...I mean small! !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song