View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #283

2 small coolers and maybe a stainless mesh filter element. The two coolers part will be no different than a larger single cooler which has been run on this same engine in other bikes.

I could also simply run a T fitting for feed and return and run them in parallel instead of in a series. It makes no difference to me how it is run. Just all Ideas at this point, since I likely have a 3 week long wait for any parts to arrive.

If your concern is strain on the system due to the filter. I chose the stainless mesh style filter specifically because they generally have an extremely low pressure drop across the medium - aka much lower resistance than a paper element. Combine that with a very large surface area, and larger capacity of it's "module" that it mounts in, I am not too worried about the filter causing any increased strain on the system.

The oil coolers, being a stacked plate design, are also known for their properties of very low flow resistance. The relative volume of the cooler to the inlet and outlet flow means that they usually don't suffer from pressure drop of any meaningful level.

Running them vertically (cooler inlets and outlets are on the sides top and bottom) in a series as I mentioned would simplify the plumbing and also gives the same advantage of running a single large cooler by having the feed and return on the top. The only possible disadvantage is an increase in resistance as the oil travels across one cooler, then another.

Running them parallel to one another would split the flow between the coolers, greatly reducing the flow resistance, but does slightly increase the complexity of the plumbing with the need for 2 Y or T fittings. It also means that the inlets and outlets are top and bottom, creating a potential issue for the coolers to drain back into the sump. Yes, a check valve can solve that issue if it arises, but that again increases the complexity of the system.

If you want to argue the necessity of two coolers, don't bother. It would be an argument of opinion with a man (me) that likes overkill. This is my compromise to running one very large oil cooler, which has other larger obstacles to overcome. Outside of relocating the horn, and removing its bracket from the frame, the 2 smaller coolers don't require changing anything about the bike, and utilize a part of it's existing design that is otherwise surperfluous - the plastic tank panels.

Plus, my primary concern is with pushing this bike hard at highway speeds on 90+ degree days. The cylinder temps may be fine and dandy, but the oil takes a ton of abuse. I can tell by the way my bike shifts and idles when the oil has lost its viscosity from heat absorbtion, which after a 10 minute run at 60mph is pretty common on those hot days. I would rather have cooling capacity I don't need, than cooling capacity I don't have.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124