View Single Post
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Bolt-On Cheap Exhaust Option

Hi all,

In the never-ending quest to make any bike run better, I was in deep anguish about having that cat in the stock bazooka........but being cheap, I didn't want to spend a fortune. I mean, a 1200.00 Yoshi would have been nice but.....

So, I hunted around and ordered this. It's good for up to a 600cc so I figured, why not? If it doesn't work on the RX3, I'll try it on one of my other rolling stock. It also has a removable baffle for those who like loud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started by whacking the stock muffler off as close to the muffler to leave as much flange as possible for mounting the new set-up. I even took a little weld. Finish the end of what is now the mid-pipe off on your grinding wheel and brush. Note the cat. Just a minor obstruction.

I then went by O'Reileys Auto parts and picked up a 1.5"-2" exhaust adapter. They have them stocked. It ran about 3.50. (Pt#548506) After cleaning this up, cut a cross (4 slits) in each end for crimping purposes (pic only shows one end, do both), then paint with your favorite BBQ black paint. Make the slits deep enough for the width of the clamps you'll be using. I prefer T-Bolt clamps. They aren't cheap but by far the best and you can really bear down on them. I still have one more clamp coming for the 2" end, hence the hose clamp for testing purposes. I'll try to mount both springs on the T-Bolt clamp when it gets here. If not, one will suffice. It's a dang snug fit.

The muffler comes with an adapter. Nice piece too. Feel free to whack the 1.5" end off of it....or do what I did and just reverse it and tap it into the muffler. Restriction? Possible....but no where near as restrictive as the cat. I did mark it with a Sharpee in the middle so I could make sure I was seating evenly on both ends of the adapter. Each end is about 1/2" inch+ inserted.

Whack one of the mounting flanges off the stock muffler. You'll need it for mounting the big clamp that goes around the muffler (included). Then measure and drill a hole on the other end of the flange where you'll need it.

Anyway, turned out nice, I thought. I went for a test burn after resetting the ECM and yes, it runs better. A little friskier but I noticed it most at cruise. I didn't need 1/3 throttle to hold cruise speed. Just a crack of throttle did the job. I can't wait to get it back together and do more miles to get the ECM set up properly.

Louder? yes...but not so much it's a problem at all, in my opinion. After all, the stocker isn't that quiet anyway.

So there you have it. A lighter (about 5+ pounds, estimate), attractive, freer flowing, bolt-on muffler for under 100.00....and it has a nice little growl. I'd post a vid if I knew how. ;-) Workin' on my GoPro as we speak.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.