View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #4

I have noticed this as well and it is most certainly fuel collecting in this line.

The Evidence so far is:
I did not note any liquids collecting in this line until I dressed up the plastic plug with a little bit of sand paper and made sure the spring clamp seal the plug in the tube with a bit of silicone grease. I suspected fluids where just leaking past the plug.
The liquid that collects is too thin to be oil and smells of gasoline.
While adjusting my valves I pulled pill shaped separator. The inside of the hose running back to the crankcase appeared dry as was the hose running to the air box. The inside of the air box was dry. The separator is filled with a coalescing media (foam).
Oil level is remaining constant.
No soot is collecting the tip of the tail pipe.
Bike has 600 miles as of today.

From this I Conclude:
Some amount of gasoline is making its way past the rings and into the crankcase either as liquid or a vapor. It is vaporizing out of the oil and going out the crank case breather then condensing in to coalescing media and collecting in the catch tube. My bike has been doing this from day one but I didn't notice until I sealed the plug fitting in the tube. This also explains why some are seeing this and others aren't; some of the plastic plugs just happen to make a better seal.

Additional Hypothesis:
All of the bikes I've owned so far have the crank case vent tubed directly to the air box with out any type of separator device. I suspect we would see this on all engines to some degree if we added this component.