View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #2

Those were my favoite pair of khakis....

Well, it went together pretty nicely.

Name:  part-0.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  98.0 KB

Handlebar mounts are garbage. Brakes need to be bled.
Stock alignment is surprisingly decent.
Rear sprocket was loose.
Clutch and brake levers were in different physical planes.

Unlike what I have seen in videos of the Boom, there were no shavings in the gas tank.

Not sure why they bothered installing pads on the rear brakes. The oil on the rotors means those pads are instantly garbage.

After using the stock controls, I have no idea why people change them out. I actually quite like the factory levers.

Can confirm the shifter is way too long. I wear a size 13 shoe, and I kept checking to see if I had shifted.

Getting to neutral from first gear is hilariously difficult. It's like a minigame you play when riding the bike.

I measured the oil that shipped in the bike. 1/2 teaspoons. Replaced with valvoline conventional for motorcycles. Same oil I run in my XJ.

The mirrors are useless. You can see the sky, your elbow, or the fence to the side of you, but almost nothing behind. They must go.

This thing is FUN. I adore this stupid little bike. WHat's more, I hate how much I like it straight out of the box. Compared with my mid-sized XJ, this made me feel like some sort of parking lot champion. I felt invincible. Tiny turn radius, 2mph balance, etc etc. I rode it for 2 miles just in my little gated community.

Name:  togetherness.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  90.8 KB

The build, while very fun, was punctuated by rain. I was rather damp by the end of it. After riding, adjusting, riding, it feels pretty good. The jetting actually works quite well at my altitude. It is still a little lean, because it doesn't like 8k much, but a VM22 is arriving Saturday to fix that.

Mods I did not plan on doing:
Replacing the boomerangs for genuine Grom. I was having so much fun that I forgot the tires weren't broken in.... so I was riding the bike, then I was riding the road for about 6 feet after trying to lay into a corner like on the XJ.

Total damage:
- My favorite pair of Dockers
- A good 5" scrape on the tank fairing, left side
- Flat spot ground down on the ball end of the clutch lever
- Left side boomerang is shot. The signal now dangles down like a sad balloon from a birthday party one week ago.
- Learning the bike has no safety shut offs.
- The mental trauma of remembering how annoying a scrape that barely breaks the skin can be.

Also, I submitted my information for the MCO to Q9. We shall see how long that takes to get here.

Now, first order of business: Call my local Honda dealers and see who has some white boomerangs in stock.