View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

Well, I just wanted to use the closest oil to the "recommended" specs, and it seems that 15W40 isn't even made in a motorcycle-specific grade, at least by none of the major/easily found brands. Unless the hint in the manual was that the engine is so ghetto that it could chug even the most basic heavy diesel truck oil...

Even locally made brands of motor oil that do have motorcycle-specific oils in their lineup, usually only offer 10W40 and 20W50, and maaaaaybe 15W50 if they want to be fancy. 15W40, it seems, is reserved only for HD Diesel or multifleet/basic car oil.

In practice, in the one year + 3 months I have owned the bike, I have filled it with either 20W50 (after the recommendation of my mechanic) or 15W50 (after finding 20W50 a bit too thick during cold starts once the outside temperatures start lowering). I'm gonna try 10W40 in the next oil change, due soon.

Then again I do quite frequent oil changes (500-600 km for mineral, 700-800 km for semi synthetic) so I can adapt easily to changing conditions ;-)