View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 03:18 AM   #31

I finally started to assemble my bike now that pretty much most of my parts have come in. I am still waiting on my dang handlebars but after 11 days of waiting they should be delivered tomorrow. That means I can get my controls and everything else sorted out next week.

In the meantime I went ahead and installed the motor so I could check sprocket alignment and get an idea of my hub adapter position. Fits in the frame rather well with decent clearance all around. Carb has enough room to install without having to unbolt anything, and I also think I can make my VM18 carb work with an angled foam filter on this reed block, which would be awesome.

I am currently waiting on some jets to use with this stock carburetor. I do believe they are a Keihin 99101-124 jets. I measured the one that came in the carburetor and the only real difference is it is .3mm longer. Otherwise they should install and function all the same. While the original jet is unmarked I did size it out to a 75, so I went ahead and ordered 78, 80, 82, and and 85. Many phantom owners complain of them being jetted on the lean side, and with the port matching and other work I have done I likely made it a little worse, so I wanted a decent range to work with.

In the meantime, I have another obstacle to overcome. My front tire and the exhaust are trying to be buddies. It's actually not too bad, so I should be able to fix this issue with a little torch and bend action.

My other obstacle is a little more frustrating, but I have to work within the parameters that I am given. It's the fitment of the disc brakes and sprocket/chain setup. Unfortunately, the 40 tooth, which I would love to run, is just a tad too big to clear the caliper. My attempts to space out the rotor created other issues and didn't buy enough room anyway.

My options here are 2. Both of them simple.

First option is to use a 36 tooth sprocket. This is the normal sprocket setup used on bikes with 26" rear wheels when using a 203mm rotor, so I know it will clear. The downside to this option is that it will gear me even taller, similar to a 32 tooth on a 26" bike. I don't mind if I have to pedal assist the bike a little, but it may prove too much gear. Lots of speed demons on the 26" bikes like using the 32 tooth with the Phantom. With an expansion chamber pipe and stock carb I have watched a guy do 52mph with no other work. Thats a little faster than I desire to go on a bicycle, but inversely, if the motor has the power it should cruise rather well at 30mph lol.

Second Option, if I decide the gearing is just too tall for what I want, is to get rid of the rear disc brake and go with a regular old rim brake out back. I will still have the bigger/better front brakes which is a plus. This would also allow me to pick almost any rear sprocket setup I want.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124