View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #646

Junaro is spot on. The chain has not stretched uniformly. I bet you have lots of sprocket wear too. The OEM chains were reported to be toast by 5K miles. I replaced mine right after I got the bike just to start off with the best possible chain and then count on maintaining it to get at least 20K out of the system. That reminds me, you need to think of the chain and sprockets as a system. They all wear together. If you replace the chain on even slightly worn sprockets it's a fool's savings. With use the chain starts to wear at each pin and create slightly greater pin to pin distance. The sprocket, which used to carry the load around about 50% of its diameter is now carrying the same load on a much smaller % of the diameter because the new chain has shorter pin to pin distance than what the worn sprocket has. Now everything will wear very rapidly.

As for the master link, just make sure it is in the grooves and fully seated..also facing in the correct direction. I had one master link fail at an awkward time so I can verify that it happens, just not that common a failure.