View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #8

Running Well @ 14,000 Miles

I just passed 14,000 miles without any problems on mine. I did swap out the original chain at the 500 mile service, due to the known issue with it wearing rapidly. I am on my fourth OEM CST rear tire, still rocking the original front. I will change it when the fifth tire goes on the rear, around 18-19,000 miles if all goes according to plan.

I did take the opportunity at the last rear tire swap to change out the rear sprocket bolts for harder KLR650 ones. Note that the loctite that Zongshen uses is really good stuff. So good that you have to heat the bolt bosses in the hub and keep them heated, in order to remove the original bolts. If you let them cool in the slightest, the thread locker resets and you risk rounding out the allen heads in the bolts. Keep them hot, and all you need is a 1/4" drive ratchet and about 10-15 pounds of torque to get the OEM bolts out.

Regarding the valves, they have been adjusted at 500 and 4600 miles. Inspected again with no adjustment needed at 8500 miles, and I am not going to look at them again until 15,000 miles. The engine runs well, it does not die when pulling in the clutch lever and letting it drop down to idle; this is usually a dead giveaway that the valves need to be adjusted. I do use the Lucas Fuel Injector and Upper Cylinder Lubricant that CSC's former service manager, Gerry Edwards, recommended for the RX3's NC250 engine. I add a squirt to the fuel tank each time I fill up. I can't say definitively that it is the reason for the valves not moving since the 4600 mile adjustment, but at $24 for a gallon, it's cheap insurance. One gallon lasted me 10,000 miles, which worked out to about 3X the recommended ratio in the mixing instructions.