View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Mr. South: Please don't think I was trying to chastise you regarding the Thread change, I just thought it was a good subject that the board hasn't touched on in a while, that I wanted to explore a little bit. At the same time, I didn't want to drag Dude's thread way OT... My apologies if I came off any other way.

--Vince
Shoot. I meant to reply sooner. Kind of forgot that I hadn't.
Anywho, no appolgies needed.
I wasn't bothered by your post at all, aside from my own regret for having injected that bit into the other thread.
Your post was right on target, and I don't mind admitting my mistake...even if it wasn't the intention of your post.
It is what it is, and I was wrong.

I'm also glad that you started this thread to discuss the subject at hand. It won't be long before a lot of riders (both new and old alike) are gearing up for the season, so it's good to have this discussion.

For myself, I couldn't (and still can't) afford the really high quality gear, so I started with just basic everything. I place gear into 3 categories - cheap, middle of the road, and top of the line.

Everything I got to start with was cheap. My Icon boots were on clearance for $40. The Quest pants were also on clearance for $60. My first gloves were $20 "shorties".

As time went by I kept an eye on prices and started upgrading. First I went to the mesh because of the summer heat. Then I got better gloves. The leather/textile jacket went on sale so I grabbed that as well.

Now I have several options, depending on the weather....and I feel more pretected with each new bit. Next on my list is a better helmet, better boots and another pair of riding pants (leather/textile mix Shift "Havoc" pants).

There's no need to spend a ton of money at once. Get something...and then upgrade later as money permits.

eagle150, there's usually some good deals on Craig's for gear...just be careful not to buy something that's already saved somone else's hyde but isn't capable of saving yours. And I wouldn't buy a used helmet, myself...but I'm sure some are perfectly fine. Another good source is forums like these. My local forum almost always has used gear for sale. Hope that helps.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project